10 Important Facts About Solar
Solar has made a big name for itself in recent years; the falling cost of solar panels, coupled with widespread news coverage, has left many homeowners considering an investment in solar. Sandbox Solar is your local, Northern Colorado solar partner, and we’re here to give you all the information you need about solar to help you make an informed choice. It’s a big decision, we know, which is why we’ve compiled these interesting facts about solar you may not have considered:
(1) Colorado is Known for Our Sunshine:
It might be a bit of a marketing gimmick, but if Colorado is known for anything, it’s our sunshine. Depending on where you live in the state, you will be able to enjoy, on average, well over 200 days of sun per year. In Northern Colorado, you can expect upwards of 300 days! All this sunlight is great for one thing in particular: solar! It’s not bad for patio-sitting and outdoor activities either.
(2) Don’t Worry About Cloudy Days: Even if it is sometimes cloudy and snowy in Colorado, you’ll ‘bank’ the extra energy your panels create on your energy bill; sunny days will offset any cloudy days.
(3) Solar is GREEN: Solar energy is a free and abundant source of power once you have the panels installed. You can drastically reduce carbon emissions choosing solar, and together we can have a big impact on the planet.
(4) Solar Panels are Low-Maintenance: Once solar panels have been installed on your home or commercial business, you can rest assured that your panels won’t give you many headaches. The batteries do not require any water and need very little upkeep. On average, solar panels are functional for as many as 25 years, meaning you will benefit from their energy for years to come.
(5) Solar has Room to Grow: If we were to power the entire Earth on solar panels alone, we would need to build more than 191,000 square miles solar panels. Earth has more than 57 million miles of land, so we should be able to find a place to put them. To date, solar panels account for very little our energy generation, but we’re hoping that changes in the coming years.
(6 )Solar Energy is Not New:
In fact, it’s been around for well over 2,700 years. Glass lenses were once used to make fire, an early form of solar power. The earliest record of harnessing the sun’s power in this way was around 700 B.C.
(7) Solar is Getting Cheaper: Solar has a reputation for being very costly, but as with any new technology, the cost of solar has dropped significantly and many predict will get even cheaper as time goes on. In fact, it’s now the cheapest to generate power.
(8)Solar Employs Thousands The solar industry is one of the fastest growing and employs thousands of well-paid employees. As of 2016, more than 360,000 by 2021.
(9)Solar Adds Value: In addition to helping you save on your energy costs, adding solar to your home can help improve the appraisal value. Buyers in Northern Colorado value homes with solar, and your home should appraise for more with solar than without.
(10) Your Break-Even Point is Coming: As a Colorado resident, you’ll break even on the cost of your solar panels after, on average, 10-12 years of owning them. That is to say, you will recoup the costs of your solar investment relatively soon and avoid paying electricity bills in the meantime.
If you’re considering solar for your home or business, contact Sandbox Solar! We live and work in Northern Colorado and understand the unique intricacies of solar in Colorado. We’d be happy to give you a free solar estimate help you understand what the addition of solar panels could mean for your building. Don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions!