SOLAR NEWSWe love to engage with our community, and provide solutions to work towards a sustainable future.
There are many ways to increase the value of your home. Sandbox Solar, your solar installer in Fort Collins, recommends adding solar to your home to increase the marketability. Thankfully, in a place like Colorado, with 300 days of sunshine, it makes a lot of sense. Installing solar panels on your home is one of the best things you can do to increase what a prospective buyer might be willing to pay.
How Do Solar Panels Increase the Marketability of a Home?
Buying a home is a major investment. Many people in Colorado enjoy living a greener lifestyle, so they often look for homes that already have solar. On average, buyers are willing to pay an additional $15,000 for homes with solar already installed, according to a 2015 study done by the Department of Energy. Here are a few reasons why solar increases the marketability of your home:
- Lower or no electric bills: When buyers look for a home, most consider monthly utility bills. If there is a solar-ready home that will allow them to have a lower or non-existent electricity bill, it is a big bonus! Solar panels typically reduce monthly energy bills by 70 to 100 percent, according to Consumer Reports.
- Low-maintenance investment: Solar panels are extremely low maintenance. Having a pool or extensive landscaping takes a lot more work! Solar panels only need to be cleaned about once every two to three months.
- Sustainability: The chance to reduce your carbon footprint is valuable to a lot of homebuyers in Colorado. Solar panels are a much more sustainable option than relying on the grid for electricity.
How Your Solar Installer in Fort Collins Can Help
When you decide to invest in solar, we will tailor a solution to meet your specific goals. We manage all aspects of the project, including design, permitting, installation, and ongoing operations. After the installation, we can help guide you to make sure you’re getting the most out of your solar investment.
If you’re really ambitious, you can increase the value of your home even more by installing an entire solar system and a solar battery. “Homes with solar-energy systems sold for 4.1% more on average than comparable homes without solar power,” according to this Zillow article. When you sell your home, the combination of a solar system and storage battery is valuable to anyone looking for energy savings and independence from the energy grid.
Already have solar? We can also provide insight if you’re buying or selling a home with a solar system!
Adding solar to your home is a great investment. If you’re looking for a solar installer in Fort Collins to help you with your solar project, contact Sandbox Solar! We can help you design and install the perfect solar system for your energy needs. Whether you’re upgrading your home for a future sale or making it your forever home, your property value will significantly increase with solar.
Sandbox Solar, your solar installer in Fort Collins, aims to provide opportunities for anyone to get involved with solar. One of the ways we do this is by providing a free quote for your new solar system! We want everyone in our community to experience the environmental and financial benefits that are possible through energy generation. We provide our services to Northern Colorado, Denver, Boulder, Southern Wyoming, the I-70 Mountain Corridor, and the Greater Front Range region. Learn more below about getting a free quote on your solar project.
Getting a Free Quote from Your Solar Installer in Fort Collins
The first step toward getting a new solar system is helping us get to know you! We’ll have you fill out our free-quote form to give us more information on your home and energy consumption. We’ll need things like your annual energy consumption (you can find this on your utility bill), an uploaded file of your utility bill, and the type of roof you have. This will help us determine the right solar system for your home or business.
At Sandbox Solar, our goal is to design and engineer the best system for your home or business based on the size of your roof, where your home is located, and your energy consumption. We will build you a customized solar system, which can reduce your overall cost and give you a better system for your needs. We’ll also help you find regional incentives you can apply for with your new solar system.
What You Can Expect After the Quote
After you fill out the free quote form, we will manage all aspects of the project, including design, permitting, installation, and ongoing operations. All of our services are handled in-house, guaranteeing the quality of the end product. Once we schedule a consultation with you, we will tailor a solution and design to meet your specific goals. When you’re happy with the design, we’ll finalize the contract and plan a site visit. This is when we will really dream up how the project will look and interact with your home.
During the engineering and permitting phase, we’ll have you check your HOA regulations (if applicable) while we handle the rest. Sandbox Solar will work with your local municipality to ensure a smooth permitting process for your new solar project. Then it’s time for the installation! Our team will work with you to create a schedule and get your solar panels installed in no time. Once your panels are installed, we’ll do a final walkthrough and inspection, and soon you’ll be creating your own energy!
After everything is complete, we still have your back. Sandbox Solar provides a phone app for you to easily manage and track your solar system on the go. You can monitor your consumption and production, review your history, and more. After installation, our team is always around for questions and continued maintenance. We are with you every step of the way through your entire solar project, and we use the highest-quality design tools and components for the best end result.
Our company was founded with one simple passion: harnessing the everlasting energy of the sun. As your solar installer in Fort Collins, we love it when we get to share that passion with you. If you’re in the market for a solar system for your home or business, don’t hesitate to contact us for a free quote!
If you have ever experienced a nasty hailstorm and been curious about solar, then you’ve likely wondered if solar panels in Colorado will hold up in a storm. Every year, the Front Range is hit with thunderstorms, torrential downpours, and hail. We are frequently asked if solar panels can be damaged by hail. The short answer is: not often! While solar panels may not be bulletproof, they can withstand even the harshest of hailstorms.
Solar Panels in Colorado are Built to Withstand Weather
Solar panels are made to be resistant to hail. Despite the fact that hail is known for ruining cars, windows, gardens, and roofs, you need not worry about your solar panels getting hail damage. Manufacturers test their products to ensure that they are able to withstand hail storms and other extreme weather conditions. Solar panels are one of the most durable and reliable energy technologies in the world. They are designed to last more than 25 years, no matter the weather. While hail is an impressive physical force, solar panels are well equipped to withstand impacts from even large hailstones. This durability is an important trait for solar systems, especially in a state like Colorado where the weather can be unforgiving.
Roof Damage and Solar Panels
If you’ve ever had your roof damaged by hail, you know how frustrating it can be. If your roof has been damaged in a recent storm, now is a great time to consider solar. You’ll already be getting work done to your roof, so you might as well go the extra mile to have a solar system installed as well. This will ensure that your roof is in top shape for the solar system and help your roof last as long as possible. Once your roof is replaced, we can help you figure out the perfect solar system for your home and needs. The good news is that you need not worry about hail damage to your solar units once the system is installed.
Do you already have a solar system installed and are planning a roof repair? We can help remove the solar system and reinstall it after the roof repair is complete. We offer professional removal and reinstallation of solar systems for your home or commercial business in a timely fashion.If you’re in need of a professional to install or reinstall solar panels in Colorado, contact Sandbox Solar! We would love to discuss your needs for your home and build you a project that is perfect for you. Contact us today for a free quote and to learn more about our services!
Investing in a solar battery system for your home has many benefits. With battery storage, you’re providing your home with a backup energy reserve in case of an outage. If you are interested in how battery storage paired with solar can benefit you, you might be wondering, “How long can I run my home on a solar battery system?” Combining solar panels and battery storage gives you independence from the power grid and allows you to store any unused power generated by your solar system for later use.
How Long Can You Run a Home on Battery Storage?
What if you don’t have a solar system and just want a battery storage option? You can do that, too! With a home battery alone, you could power your basic amenities for about a day or two in the event of a power outage. It really depends how much energy you use in a day. It’s possible for most households to limit their electrical consumption to around 5 or 6 kWh per day. However, when you pair battery storage with a solar panel system, you can create an end-to-end system for producing energy to power your home, and store energy for later use.
Benefit of Solar Battery Systems
Solar paired with a battery system will allow you to run on just the battery storage for much longer. Solar battery systems can add a level of resilience and independence to your home to keep the lights on, the internet running, the refrigerator cold, and other necessities during power outages. You can run your home on solar energy during the day while your solar battery is charging with any excess energy created to then be discharged during the night. As long as you have enough battery storage capacity, you can power your home like this for a long time.
Do you want to gain independence from the grid with a solar battery system? Contact us today! Sandbox Solar has the expertise to install the perfect battery storage option for your home. We offer three different types of solar batteries and can help you decide on the right one, depending on your power needs.
Sandbox Solar, your Colorado solar company, has had the opportunity to work on an incredible project to bring the City of Fort Collins closer to its sustainability goals. We are excited to announce that we have completed the 200 kW ground mount for the Waterglen Project in northeast Fort Collins!
This project was 100% locally done, with 18 local employees making it happen. It was a difficult journey to find the right space to develop solar in Fort Collins, and this project was a big step for Sandbox Solar.
Why Did We Begin this Project?
The goal of this project was to advance Fort Collins further toward a sustainable future and its goal of 100% renewable by 2030. If we want more solar in Fort Collins, our community needs to rethink how it views, plans, and permits solar projects. It has been difficult to develop solar in Fort Collins because of the lack of affordable space, and this project demonstrates how, with limited space, you can still successfully meet safety, zoning, and other requirements. We encourage neighbors to identify community open spaces where solar can be deployed such as flood plain areas, detention areas, parking lots, etc. We implore the City Council to audit and reevaluate the planning and development process for solar projects. As it stands, a small-scale solar development is treated the same way as a large apartment building. The length of time and the cost to deploy projects like these are too much and we will never achieve our renewable goal.
One method Sandbox Solar has been exploring is to combine solar and agriculture to save space. This unique pairing is similar to our work with Colorado State University’s ARDEC, where we planted crops under solar panels and then monitored their growth. This will provide local food and renewable energy for our communities.
As your local solar company in Fort Collins, the Waterglen Solar Project was a big step for us. It allowed us to showcase our engineering, development, and construction abilities that enable us to take on projects of all sizes.
How Does this Project Benefit Fort Collins?
This 200 kW array will provide enough energy for approximately forty homes. The power generated by these solar panels is specifically for the City of Fort Collins and will help the city move toward its sustainability goals.
We also ensured that the solar system would easily co-inhabit the space with the area’s native plants. This way there is a natural habitat for the native species, including bees and rabbits, without disruption.
There will also be wildflowers, shrubs, trees, and grass planted throughout areas to restore the natural habitat.
What Have We Learned About Colorado Solar?
The array demonstrates what can happen when the community supports the development of solar energy on unique and abstract parcels of land. Without community support, Fort Collins will not be able to obtain its Climate Action Plan goals.
A lot of the places where we could develop solar in the future include floodplain areas. Through the Waterglen Project, we have demonstrated that solar energy has minimal development impact in floodplain areas and neighborhoods.
Sandbox Solar, your Fort Collins solar company, is committed to fostering local community involvement with solar energy and continuing to provide the opportunity for more solar energy research. With projects like Waterglen, we can work toward providing even more economic benefits to the community, support renewable energy, and enable optimal land use in Fort Collins. Contact us with any questions or feedback about our Waterglen project.
Looking for a top-rated Colorado Solar Company to help you with your solar project for your home or business? Look no further than Sandbox Solar! We’re a highly rated, expert solar company serving Fort Collins, Greeley, Denver, and beyond. Sandbox Solar is considered by many of our customers to be the best solar company in Northern Colorado.
Here’s what some of our customers have to say about working with us:
They love working with us because:
- We’re an experienced Colorado solar company: Experience is one of the most important factors when it comes to your solar project. Our co-founder Ian has worked on LEED projects creating energy-efficient and energy-producing commercial buildings. He also has experience in photovoltaic and energy-efficiency project development. Our other co-founder Andrew has been involved in renewable energy since 2008 and has worked for world leaders in solar energy development and integration. Our team is highly skilled and trained to complete your project safely and effectively.
- We offer multiple services: At Sandbox Solar, we offer residential and business solar installation, repair, and maintenance. We also offer solar battery and electric vehicle charger installation for you. And if you are ever doing a roof repair, we can help you with the removal of your solar panels and the reinstallation. Our goal is to provide opportunities for anyone to get involved in solar energy and receive the environmental and financial benefits of energy generation.
- You’ll get a full-service project from us: At Sandbox Solar, we are with you every step of the way through your entire solar project. We will help you through the design, development, and installation of solar panels at your home or business. We use the highest-quality design tools and components for the best end result. Sandbox Solar aims to provide you with a project that makes sense for you, your home or business, and your energy goals. If you have any questions, we are here to answer them! You will never have to go through a customer service department.
- We help figure out the financials: Solar can be expensive, and figuring out how to pay for the system can be overwhelming. We are here to help guide you through the financial side of things. We can help you determine which route – leasing, loans, or power purchase agreements – makes the most sense for you and your solar investment. We also know the federal and local tax incentives that you might qualify for to reduce the overall cost of your system. Lastly, when you work with us, we will design the perfect system that fits your needs. With a customized system, we can often reduce your overall cost, because you’re not paying for extra panels that you don’t need.
If you’re in need of a professional Colorado solar company to help you install a solar system, contact Sandbox Solar! We’re happy that so many of our customers love working with us and have helped make us a top-rated company in Northern Colorado. We would love to discuss your project and provide you a free quote! Contact us today to learn more about our services.
Not all things in life are certain. But one thing we know for sure is that the sun will always shine! That’s why big investments like solar in Colorado are a safe bet. Solar energy is a safe investment because there is little risk involved. Putting your dollars into a solar system will safely earn you money in the long run. And you get bonus points for helping make the Earth a better place. Here are several reasons why solar in Colorado is a safe investment:
- It’s low risk – The sun is the Earth’s most abundant source of energy. It radiates enough energy every hour to fulfill the planet’s power needs for an entire year. We all know that the sun will continue to shine. Why not take advantage of it? If you compare investing in solar to investing in stocks, there’s no competition. When you invest in stocks, you’re betting on the success of the company, its employees, and many other factors. It’s definitely not as reliable an investment.
- Solar power is a proven and reliable energy source – Solar panels have proven their reliability after being around for a long time. Solar power systems utilize relatively simple technology with few moving parts. There’s not a lot of room for error, they’re durable, and they require little maintenance. Solar in Colorado withstands all of our weather and continues to produce electricity even in winter. Most solar systems come with 20- to 25- year warranties, and solar companies typically have installation warranties, as well, to cover anything that might need to be replaced.
- It saves you money on your electricity bill – When you invest in solar, you’re trading the electricity you purchase from the utility company for free electricity that your solar panels will produce. Essentially you’re “making money” by not having to pay an electric bill. By using solar energy, you’re also reducing an ongoing future expense. With the costs of fossil fuels rising and the price of installing solar continuing to fall, solar is becoming a more attractive investment option.
- Great payback periods and ROIs – The good news is that your solar system will start generating free electricity the day that it is turned on. The money you save from the free electricity your solar generates will pay for the installation after several years. The typical ROI period in the U.S. is about 8 years. The payback period can be different for every homeowner, depending on upfront costs, electrical use and generation, and how you finance your solar system.
Ready to invest in solar? Contact Sandbox Solar for a free quote! We have top-notch experience and have been installing solar in Colorado for years along the Front Range. We have helped homeowners and business owners work toward energy independence and achieve their energy goals. We can help you too!
You’ve decided to go solar. Congrats! You’re making a big step toward increasing the value of your home, saving the environment, and cutting your electric bill. With solar becoming more and more popular, there is an endless supply of companies to choose from when considering adding solar to your home or business.
You can choose to work with a larger, corporate company or invest in your community with a local solar company. We’d like to share with you the reasons why supporting your local solar installer is a win-win.
4 reasons why a local solar company is a perfect choice:
- We Give Back – At Sandbox Solar, everyone – from the owners to the installers – calls Northern Colorado home. We love supporting our local community and fostering community involvement with solar energy. For the last several years, we have worked with Colorado State University studying agrivoltaics and Colorado solar. We are using this research to see how well agriculture and solar can coexist. Our goal is to create a business model where we will be able to simultaneously grow food and generate renewable energy for Fort Collins and across Colorado. In a recent collaboration with The Growing Project, we donated a 600W, two-panel solar array for the garden in The FoCo Commons. The solar panels power a USB outlet for phone chargers and other devices for anyone in need. It is also designed to educate the community about the potential of agrivoltaics.
- Your Investment Keeps Money Local – Investing in a local solar company means that your money stays right here in Northern Colorado. Utilizing a local solar company helps foster local economic growth. We’re proud to continue the cycle by shopping local, supporting local nonprofits, and partnering with other local contractors to strengthen Colorado’s economy.
- It’s a Partnership – When you invest with a local solar company, it’s not just a transaction, it’s a partnership. Every installation is just as much an investment for us as it is for you, the customer. We’ll help you understand the ins and outs of your solar system so you know how it works and what you are gaining. After installation, we are always available for questions and further assistance.
- Local Insight – When you invest in a solar system, it’s important to work with a company that knows both the installation and financial side of solar. At Sandbox Solar, we have been providing solar for years, which means that not only are we well versed in which systems and install types work best for our climate, but we’re also experts on the federal, state, and local tax credits and incentives you can apply for with your solar system.
Ready to choose a local solar company to do your project? Contact Sandbox Solar, your local solar installer in Northern Colorado. We can provide you a free quote for your project and help you design and install a system that meets your specific goals.
So you have brand new solar panels on your roof and you’re generating your own electricity. Your power bills are basically eliminated at this point, and you’re feeling pretty good about your impact on the environment. But, one stormy night, the wind knocks over a huge tree and the power goes out on your entire block. Now you’re stuck without power because you’re relying on the grid to power your home.
What can you do to avoid this? Invest in solar battery backup! Combining solar panels and backup battery storage allows you to have independence from the power grid and store any unused power generated by your solar system for later use. Battery backup power offers the same functions as conventional generators without the need for refueling. Plus, it’s a lot more eco-friendly.
How Long Will Solar Battery Backup Help During a Power Outage?
Solar battery backup can add a level of resilience to your home to keep the lights on, the internet running, and the fridge cold at night during power outages. Your solar battery will be charged and store excess energy during the day to allow you to use and discharge the power at night. As long as you have enough battery storage capacity, you can power your home like this through long power outages.
Sandbox Solar has the expertise to install the right battery storage option for your home. We offer three different types of battery and can help you decide on the proper one, depending on how much power you need.
Here are the battery options that we offer:
- LG Chem Solar Battery: This battery features industry-leading 5kW continuous power. LG Chem offers improved energy efficiency and is sized for day-to-day use for your home. This is the best bang for the buck home battery on the market, and we highly recommend it.
- Enphase Encharge: The Enphase Encharge battery is smart, reliable, simple, and safe. It has a total usable energy capacity of 3.36 kWh. The best part is that you can add more batteries to it and expand your system very easily.
- Generac PWRcell: This battery storage system is one of the most powerful on the market. It can provide up to 9kW of continuous backup power for your home’s essential power needs. A single PWRcell battery can provide enough power to back up large appliances like air conditioners and well pumps. We love this solution for mountain cabins and frequent outages.
Curious about solar battery backup for your home and gaining independence from the grid? Contact us today! We’ll help you design a system that works best for your home and needs, so you can be prepared for any situation.
Usually, the first question a homeowner has when deciding to invest in solar is “When will I see a return?” With the increased popularity of solar, there is a great deal of data out there to show the return on investment (ROI) of installing in a solar system. Colorado solar panels are investments with strong rates of return. Homeowners can generate electricity through their solar panels and avoid ever-increasing utility rates by eliminating their electricity bills. Having solar panels on your home also increases the value of your property.
When can I see an ROI on my Colorado solar panels?
In the U.S., the typical ROI period is about 8 years. For example, if the cost of installing solar on your home is $16,000 and your system is going to save you $2,000 per year on energy bills, your break-even point will be 8 years. The break-even point can be different for every homeowner because of several factors.
When you are deciding on a company to install your solar panels, you should compare the payback period for multiple quotes. That way, you can identify when your solar investment will begin earning you money.
Here are a few circumstances that determine how long it will take to see a return on your solar investment:
- The Upfront Cost – The cost of solar panels depends on the size and type of panels. Sandbox Solar provides free estimates for all of our clients. We will help you determine the cost of your system based on the type of panels you need and the size of your home. The good news is that the cost of solar continues to decrease with its popularity. Sandbox Solar also provides customized systems and financing options, which can help reduce your overall cost.
- Monthly Electrical Use and Generation – The size of the solar system you need will depend on the monthly amount of electricity you consume. Once you know how much you consume, you can figure out how much of that you can offset each month with solar. The higher your electricity bills are, the shorter your estimated ROI period will be, because you can reduce or eliminate this bill as soon as your panels are up and running. It’s also important to keep in mind that the size of your roof and where you live can determine how much electricity your solar panels will produce. Sandbox Solar will help you determine the right solar system for your roof size, location, and energy consumption.
- Financial Incentives – At Sandbox Solar, we will find the rebates you may qualify for and the best financing options for your situation. Colorado solar panels can be more affordable if you utilize tax breaks and rebates to dramatically reduce the cost. For instance, the federal solar investment tax credit (ITC) allows you to deduct 26% of the cost of your system from your taxes. And Colorado has some of the best solar rebates and incentives in the country. We have been installing solar panels in Colorado for years, so we can help you understand the rebates and incentives you qualify for.
If you want to learn more about solar and get a free quote for your project, contact us today! Investing in Colorado solar panels can be your first step toward achieving your energy goals. It’s a great investment opportunity to offset energy costs, reduce the environmental impact of your home, and contribute to a sustainable future.
When shopping for a big investment like solar, it’s important to check multiple options and prices. Every Colorado solar installer is different in the services they offer, the equipment they use, and pricing. At Sandbox Solar, we offer the best products and services at a competitive price.
If you are approached to buy solar, use a comparison-shopping method before you buy, so you can be aware of all of the options available.
Here are a few things you should look for in Colorado solar installers:
- Do they offer a free quote – A free quote is a great way to get an estimate on what the cost of your project will look like. Try to get multiple quotes before you commit to one installation company. At Sandbox Solar, we offer free quotes and will also evaluate your energy rates for free! Just fill out this contact form to get started.
- Compare financing options – There are several financing options available when investing in solar, including home equity loans and Power Purchase Agreements (PPA). Some Colorado solar installers might offer their own loans, or you can get one from your bank. When you invest in solar, you want to work with a company that knows exactly what they are doing on both the install and financial side. At Sandbox Solar, we’re experts on the regional tax credits and incentives you can apply for once you have your new solar system. Ask your realtor on the saleability of a house with a lease on your roof!
- Equipment choices – There are many different brands and models of solar panels available. Each panel will have different specifications related to design, size, efficiency, durability, and warranty. The Colorado solar installer you choose should provide you with personalized quotes that will show the best value for your home. When it comes to equipment and cost, the cheapest deal isn’t always the best deal. Local providers can offer you a more customized solar system, which can reduce your overall cost and give you a better system for your needs. Sandbox Solar utilizes the highest-quality design tools and components to give you the best installation possible. We have been providing solar for years and can create a system and installation type that works best for the region’s climate.
- Colorado Solar Installer Reviews – Check the reviews! They can be a good indicator of how the company works with its customers. In general, local solar companies get higher ratings than larger solar companies, because they are members of the community and care about doing the best job possible. You can read our Google reviews here.
When trying to decide on a Colorado solar installer, it’s important to pay attention to all of these things. Always compare multiple options to ensure that you are getting the best option and value for your project. When you work with Sandbox Solar, we will help you choose the best equipment and financing options for your project. If you have questions, don’t hesitate to contact the Sandbox Solar team today for a free quote!
CONTACT US TODAY
FREE QUOTE FORM
WHO WE WORK WITH